As PromptWorks grows, so does demand on our engineering team. We often find ourselves fielding development inquiries from excellent clients working outside our preferred stacks and expertise or we occasionally don’t have enough staff to fill out a team with employees. In those cases, we like to work with seasoned, versatile contractors that are excited to dive in. We are seeking experienced contract engineers to mutually expand our business.
About the position
We are looking for contract engineers available to work with our teams and clients within the Greater Philadelphia Area and regularly come to our office or client sites for planning, demo and other meetings.
As a contract engineer at PromptWorks, your responsibilities would include:
- Writing quality software for clients and providing them with technical direction
- Working well in a small team and independently when necessary
- Potentially participating in daily stand up and weekly planning & retrospective meetings
- Taking ownership of our work-product
- Interfacing directly with our clients, gathering their needs and managing their expectations
- Architecting, estimating and planning technical solutions to problems
Location & time requirements
While every project is different, most will require:
- between 1 and 3 on-site visits per week to our office in Philadelphia and/or the client’s site
- between 20 and 30 hours per week
All meetings happen between 9am and 5pm local time.
About the ideal candidate
Required skills include:
- Deep knowledge in your chosen stack. We’re especially looking for expertise in Ruby, Python, or Elixir.
- Writing automated unit and feature tests
- Experience with a variety of web frameworks (preferably including Ruby on Rails, Flask, Django, Node.js, or Phoenix)
- Shell scripting
- Git & GitHub
- HTML, CSS
- Relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL)
- Knowledge and appreciation of REST
- Key/value stores (e.g. Redis)
- Bash, Linux
Desired skills include:
- Deep DevOps knowledge
- Mobile development experience (iOS and Android), especially if coupled with React Native experience.
PromptWorks is made up of people with many different backgrounds and lifestyles. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other difference.
How to apply
Please apply with a custom cover letter. Tell us which position you’re applying for and why you’re a good fit. Please include a resume and examples of your work (e.g. links to code samples with descriptions).
Principals only. No recruiters, please.Apply Now